Vocabulary is of paramount important while writing. The use of good vocabulary words never fails to impress others. Here are some of my tips on how to improve your vocabulary:-
- Read, Read and Read: I don’t emphasize on reading lengthy, tedious books or even novels. I believe that reading articles, magazines etc. also contributes to improving one’s vocabulary. Learn to become a voracious reader.
- Write down: Make it a habit to write down or list the new words you come across while reading. You can also make use of the computer for the same.
- Understand the usage: I always recommend to read a couple of sample sentences for any new word you learn and understand where and how they are used. By ‘understand’ I do not mean that you memorize the exact definition.
- Your dictionary should always be accessible: Always remember to carry your dictionary along to places like your school and try to look up for the meaning of a new word as soon as you come across it.
- Use a thesaurus: At times peruse the thesaurus to get yourself acquainted with some synonyms for common words.
- Start writing more: In order to assess yourself and your understanding of the new words you learnt, try to write more. Try starting a blog or a personal diary.
- Word of the Day: Many online dictionaries have a section known as Word of the Day. It is recommended that you subscribe to any one and apprise yourself of new words.
- Try using a Learner’s Dictionary: Learner’s Dictionaries have simplified definition and better examples. If you try referring to one of these, then your vocabulary is bound to improve.
I hope that after reading these tips you will develop an insatiable hunger for improving your vocabulary. Do share your thoughts and feedback.